Skip to content

back to speed

April 14, 2009

Spent Resurrection Sunday at the grandparents, naturally, just filling ourselves up to the brim (and beyond) with ham, lamb, potato salad, deviled eggs, biscuits, and other random deliciousness. We stayed until close to 8 o’clock, and stupidly did not put on the children’s jammies or brush their teeth.

So . . .  when we got home, close to 9, we still had to do jammies and teeth, and the whole bedtime routine*. Then the Boss had to get his Rebif shot, which he gets three times weekly for his MS.

I was in bed around 10:30. So . . . when the alarm went off at 4:30 the next morning, I thought briefly about getting up. I had 8 miles penciled into my schedule. But then, I reminded myself that I am not in training. I promised myself after the marathon that I would take it easy and not jump right back into training and have my life governed by a schedule.

So I slept in.

I went through my normal day–school for the Lamb, dental checkup for the Monkey, yoga for the Ringmaster in the evening.

Got up today and decided I’d go ahead and do the speedwork that was on the schedule–though I’m not in training, I like speed and it would be nice to have some legs when a 5k or other race comes around.

I usually run long intervals, especially since I’ve been in training for long distances–running mile repeats or, once, 1½ mile stretches. Today, I decided since I’m probably running shorter-distance races in the immediate future, to run ½-mile repeats with ¼-mile recoveries. I set my goal pace at 8-minute miles since that was tough the last time I did mile repeats; this is also my goal pace at my next half, where I hope to reach the finish line in 1:45 or under.

I still decided to run eight miles–six for the actual speedwork, with bookending warm-up and cool-down miles.

The first interval was tough; I couldn’t believe I’d signed up to do eight. Yikes, I told myself, this is NOT, in fact, easier than doing this for one mile. But, of course, it was–the finish line came very quickly and Garmie beeped at me to tell me to rest.

In the end, the eight repeats were easy enough to complete. Though I ran them on the road, the timing was perfect. I ended up crossing big roads mostly on the recoveries, and between repeats 4 and 5 even got to get a water break.

The time for each repeat: 4:07–8:15 pace

The great thing is that by repeat number 4, going fast felt natural. I felt like I was working hard, but slowing down to an 8-minute pace was almost harder than staying at that just-sub-8 rhythm.

I don’t know. I’m thankful that it felt easy out there today, and hoping I can get speed and endurance together in the right combination in time for Space Coast. Getting close to the 4-hour mark would be delightful.

*And don’t you even try to get away with not flossing these children’s teeth. “But Mom,” the Lamb will say from behind a curtain of tears, “I’ll get cavities!”

One Comment leave one →
  1. run4change permalink
    April 14, 2009 3:32 pm

    I had never done speedwork before a couple of months ago. it has drastically improved both speed as well as endurance for sure. It is hard but so worth it and since it is hard it is also a personal growth exercise I think. Great job on your repeats. Keep up the good work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: